PB1A | Album Reviews

Do people even still listen to albums? With the creation of smart devices where you can create personalized playlists, people just do not bond with whole albums like they used to.

However, I still think they're pretty cool and worth looking into; seeing how they've varied over the years, and if they still hold the same basic conventions.

So, before even reading a review, I assume they have an unspoken, basic or, if you will, apparent kind of rule to them.

Will they consist of:
-something that relates to the critic personally?
-the musical tone of the album?
-a certain feeling/belief/ideology they believe the artist is trying to put forward?
-favorite lyrics? favorite song?
-a rating on a scale?
-comparison to past work? or another artist?
-will the critic include either criticism or approval; or will they remain neutral?
-will they describe the album? try to paint a visual picture of the album with the way they describe it?

For my examples, they will be mixed genres, and from different sources, which still shouldn't matter on or change how the review is written.


Ex. 1: Troye Sivan - Bloom (pop) [4/5] 
Ex. 2: Catfish and the Bottlemen - The Balcony (alternative) [4/5]
Ex. 3: Travis Scott - Astroworld (rap/hiphop) [7.8/10]
Ex. 4: Miley Cyrus - Younger Now (pop) [4.7/5]
Ex. 5: Moose Blood - I'll Keep You in Mind, From Time to Time (alternative) [6/10]


Overall, they all had a rating on a scale, most had some kind of personal connection as well as some kind of comparison to past work, a personal view and description the work in the album. In the review of Catfish and the Bottlemen, the critic states their personal view on the songs, whereas the others remain objective and focus on the overall tones instead of personal opinion.

Of course, every review is different, since every critic is different, but all in all, they all have the same conventions.

Comments

  1. First off, love the topic you chose. I have listened to so many albums and have not thought about the questions that you asked. These questions are constantly answered in interviews with the artist(s) but i never ask them when listening and i can't wait to. I love the examples you chose and how diverse they are. Your word choices also stood out to me. The words you used helped keep me engaged and eager to keep reading. I also love how you gave your opinions on the examples you provided. They really helped me see your taste. The organization of your blog post made it simple to read and understand. Overall, I loved reading your blog post and can't wait to see what other genres you choose to explore throughout this assignment. Great job on this assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made a great choice by choosing album reviews. I love your intro to this blog post. I like the organization of this blog post. I think album reviews can be very important, because it gives the album a type of reputation. The list of questions you had was a great reference point for what to expect out of reviews. This was a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the topic you chose for your essay, I was actually thinking about doing this too before I started. I also listen to so many albums , but before I do I just look at the reciews to figure out which song I should listen to first. I don’t normally listen to the whole album at times because I get bored very quickly if I don’t like how the song starts. I like the different genres of music you chose and the albums because i personally listen to some of them myself. I like how you added certain albums because it gives us more of an understanding of what kind of music you listen to. You organized your thoughts and you didn’t just put everything together, so I understood it clearly and didn’t get dhstraxted about wvat you were trying to say. Alsoo I’ve noticed that you’ve explored more music genres over the past years and I think that’s great just becsuse you can hear new music and share your thoughts about it. Good job ren!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment